We are running out of summer weekends! With kids going back to school in the next couple of weeks, be sure to squeeze in as much fun as you can before we all get back to the grind! Here are a few fun options for this weekend:
- Flights on the Beach. If you want to get out of town, drive on over to Oscoada and sip, shop, and stroll along the beautiful shores of Lake Huron. Wineries, breweries, and local distilleries will be offering samples and answering any questions you may have. Local and nationally acclaimed artists and crafters will be there as well. Pick up some unique gifts, jewelry, or decor for your home! This event will be held Saturday & Sunday, Aug. 15th – 16th, from 10 am – 5 pm. Other activities will include a kite flying contest on the pier. The event will be held at Shoreline Park (4122-4362 N. Huron Road, Oscoda, MI 48750).
- Drive-in Movie – “Yesterday.” On August 15th you can enjoy a drive-in movie at Genoa Park in Brighton! A 32-ft screen will be set up, and sound will be transmitted through your vehicle’s speakers. Yesterday is rated PG-13 and run time is 1 hour and 56 minutes. The movie will begin at 9 pm. Be sure to arrive a few minutes early to get set up. Genoa Township Park is located at 2911 Dorr Rd, Brighton. Pre-registration is mandatory as space is limited and the charge is $10 per vehicle. In the case of a cancellation due to inclement weather all participants will be notified by email.
- Peach Harvest Festival. If you are going to be on the west side of the state this weekend, you may want to stop by this festival at Lewis Adventure Farm & Zoo (4180 W. M-20,
New Era, MI 49446). The whole family will enjoy fresh Michigan peaches, peach pastries & donuts, peach orchard tours, and more! Tickets can be purchased online at https://www.visitlewisfarms.com/
- Grand Traverse Lighthouse Museum Lobster Festival. On Saturday, Aug. 15th you can come enjoy a wonderful lobster (or chicken) dinner with red skinned potatoes, corn on the cob, coleslaw, cherry dessert, and choice of beverage, all while supporting the continued restoration and preservation of the Grand Traverse Lighthouse. You will enjoy beautiful Lake Michigan views, live music, and a front row of the sunset. Two seatings, 5 pm and 6:30 pm. Please call the Grand Traverse Lighthouse Museum at 231-386-7195 to make your reservation. All tickets must be pre-purchased ($65 for members, $75 for non-members). Seating is limited to 200. Event location is Leelanau State Park, 15310 N. Lighthouse Point Rd, Northport, MI 49670.
- Visit a Sunflower Field! There are many beautiful spots in Michigan where you can go view or pick sunflowers–and right now is the time! One local option is Spicer’s Orchard in Fenton. You can also pick peaches and berries, depending on the conditions. The playground and market are also open, so bring the whole family! Other great locations are Schell Family Farm in Pinckney, and DeBuck’s Sunflower Farm in Belleville.