The Historic Theater in Howell decided to give something new a try – a Backlot Drive-In Movie experience. The idea was met with great success — the entire weekend quickly sold out of all 3 shows. The theater will be showing Back to the Future in honor of it’s 35th anniversary on July 10th – 12th. The drive-in will be set up to allow 10 cars per show in the lot behind the theater. Movie-goers will watch the movie in their cars and tune in through their FM radios. Concessions will be available for purchase through the theater’s website or by phone and delivered to the cars. What a fun experience for those of us missing the ability to go to the show! We hope the theater will schedule more of these drive-in movies this summer!
Other drive-in theaters to check out in Michigan include:
- Capri Drive-In, Coldwater. The Capri is a 1,000 car, twin screen drive-in, open 7 nights a week through October. The box office opens at 7:30 pm and movies start at dusk.
- Cherry Bowl Drive-In Theater, Honor. Equipped with a playground, volleyball net, vintage movie memorabilia, putt-putt golf, and more, this theater has been operating since 1954!
- Sunset Drive-In, Hartford. This theater debuted in 1948, and the screen has a lovely backdrop of trees and open sky, minimizing distractions while you enjoy the movie!
- Getty 4 Drive-In, Muskegon. Option of tuning in through your radio or using a nostalgic speaker, the Getty 4 is family-friendly, with a large playground and arcade room for the kids.
- US 23 Twin Drive-In, Flint. This theater offers nightly double-features on three gigantic screens.
***Hours and operation may be different due to COVID-19 restrictions. Contact theater directly for more information and show times.